OCAS is an advanced, market-oriented research centre providing steel and non-ferrous metal products, services and solutions to various companies worldwide. OCAS is equipped with state-of-the-art R&D tools and facilities in its laboratories in Zelzate and Gent-Zwijnaarde (Belgium). The research centre valorises know-how by product and solution development, either in a bilateral framework or a joint industry project. OCAS has a highly qualified team of over 150 researchers and engineers with an international orientation. OCAS started operations in 1991.
- advanced material development and optimization of alloys & coating systems
- prediction of the structural behaviour of critical components
- thermo-mechanical processing and testing of samples on properties and performance
- reliable and in-service material data under specific loading and environmental circumstances
- tailor made test-rigs and large-scale testing according purpose
- Endurance and life time extension analyses of structures’ critical components
Throughout the years, OCAS has built up extensive knowledge on corrosion and metal/hydrogen interaction, degradation behaviour, special testing and remediation. Its H2 competence and lab facilities are worldwide recognized.
OCAS R&D services focus on the entire supply chain: from small-scale production of alloys to large-scale testing of critical compounds in (accelerated) service conditions.
OCAS has done successful R&D on topics such as :
- Development of lightweight metals without compromising on other properties
- Maraging steel optimisation for cost reduction
- Investigation and advice on material selection for hydrogen pressure vessels
- Alloy screening for additive manufacturing
- Small-scale alloy production of wire for welding, WAAM or thermal spray applications
J.F. Kennedylaan 3
Tel.: +32 9 345 12 11